Legend has it that the Corton hillside was once planted exclusively with red grape variety and that Charlemagne himself had a penchant for these wines. Unfortunately, the red wine left scarlet stains in the Emperor’s beard and his wife feared that this would bring shame upon the royal dignity. Charlemagne therefore decided to replant the vineyards with white grape variety in order to continue drinking his favourite wine. Our family purchased this parcel in 1874 along with the Corton “Clos des Cortons Faiveley” Grand Cru Monopole.
Founded in 1825, Bourgognes Faiveley has been handed down from father to son for over 175 years. As the sixth generation to take the reins, François Faiveley manages, with equal amounts passion and competence, the largest family domaine in Burgundy. Methodically reconstructing vineyards fractured by French inheritance laws, Bourgognes Faiveley today owns more appellations in their entirety (monopoles) than any other domaine in Burgundy.