Established in 1797, the company today continues to be family owned and operated. The domaine has the largest grand cru vineyard holdings of any producer in Burgundy. With roughly 48 hectares (118 ac) of vineyards, the company has a wealth of holdings all over Burgundy, as well as in the south of France in the Ardèche and Var regions. The Latour family have grown grapes as far back as the 17th Century in Aloxe-Corton. They acquired a 125 acre (50 ha) domaine and the Corton Grancey winery was built in 1834. This was built over five levels in order to make wines via gravity flow, the first of its kind in France. While the majority of Louis Latour’s vineyard holdings are in Aloxe-Corton (26-ac of these are in the Corton-Charlemagne Grand Cru vineyard), the company also makes wines in several other grand cru and premier cru vineyards, including Le Montrachet and Romanée-Saint-Vivant.
Aloxe-Corton has been the home of the Latour family and the heart of Domaine Louis Latour for centuries. The village of Aloxe-Corton is located in the north of the Côte de Beaune on a stony hillside at the foot of the hill of Corton. It was in 1862 that the name of the climat Corton was added to the village name Aloxe. The vineyards of Domaine Louis Latour surround this famous village and yield a classic Aloxe-Corton.